Phillips Respironics Medical Device Recall
RECALL NOTICE: PHILIPS RESPIRONICS CPAP AND BIPAP DEVICES
Dear Patients, (updated 2/22/23)
We understand the Philips Medical Device Recall has caused our patients some concerns. We are doing our best to keep you updated with the most recent information we have.
Information for patients and caregivers | Philips
To register your Philips device or to edit your registration: 877-907-7508
Patient Post remediation Support Hotline: 833-262-1871. Patient can reach out to this team for any post remediation questions.
Philips Device Remediation Update Information as of January 25, 2023
I don’t have my Machine/Prescription yet. What are my options?–
Auto-CPAP Program – Some US patients may be eligible to receive a replacement device with Auto-adjusting CPAP settings if Philips Respironics has not been able to obtain their updated prescription settings. Patients who are eligible for this option will be contacted directly by Philips Respironics and will also see this option available within the Patient Portal. This is a voluntary option and because Philips Respironics is not a medical provider and cannot provide medical advice, qualifying patients must read and agree to the terms and conditions of this replacement option and provide their consent with the Patient Portal. Please note that for patients who choose this option, no additional action is required from the DME, however, these patients will be advised to contact their DME to provide the serial number of the replacement device so that their Care Orchestrator records can be updated accordingly.
Understanding the recall process | Philips Healthcare
Replacement device safety information page
Current Replacement Device Issues–Resources for your Philips Replacement Page – If you have received a replacement DreamStation but are having issues with your machine please check link or you can contact Philips at 833-262-1871 if you have any questions with your new replacement machine.
Spanish Philips Page – Philips está implementando una medida correctiva permanente. Para obtener más información sobre este Aviso de seguridad en campo, visite: https://www.philipssrcupdate.expertinquiry.com/?ulang=es
If you have additional questions, please recheck our website for the most current information that we have. We will be updating it frequently as we learn more. You may also email us at P[email protected] with specific questions.
Some patients have been receiving replacement machines. If you do receive a replacement machine from Philips please note it will be pre-programmed with your current pressure setting. Once the machine is plugged in, and you begin using it, the machine will automatically send us your data. There is no need for an SD card. If you are on our auto supply program, please notify us so we can update your supply order with the new filters. You can reach us at [email protected]
If you are having issues with your replacement machine from Philips please see Resources for your Philips Replacement DreamStation page. You can contact Philips at 833-262-1871 if you have any questions with your new replacement machine.
WHAT DO I DO ABOUT MY MACHINE?
Please note that in terms of a replacement machine, the best option is to register with Philips to receive a replacement machine or have your current machine repaired. This would be at no cost to you. Unfortunately, currently, Philips does not have a timeline for the recall. Please register your machine at Philips website www.philips.com/SRC-update. Philips Respironics also set up a phone number for the recall process. Their recall hotline number is 877-907-7508. Please note there are extended wait times, so we recommend you register online. You can also visit the Philips Update FAQ page here.
The PAP replacement options are:
- Register device with Philips for repair/replacement
- Check with your insurance company to see if you are eligible for a new machine
- Purchase a machine out-of-pocket
If you would prefer to receive a new machine through insurance, please check with your insurance company if you are eligible for a replacement machine due to recall or due to the purchase date of your current machine. Please confirm any associated costs you may incur based on your deductible or co-insurance. If you are eligible and decide to replace your machine via insurance, please let us know so we can make arrangements for a new machine for you. You can email us at [email protected] or call 703-729-3420 extension 280. Please leave your full name and date of birth and insurance information so we can start the eligibility process. If we do not answer, please leave your full name and date of birth. We are experiencing a high call volume but will get back to you as soon as we can.
MEDICARE / MEDICAID Patients – If you have had your machine greater than 5 years or you have changed insurance you may qualify for a replacement device. It will require an office visit with your sleep medicine physician and new prescription.
DO I NEED TO STOP USING MY MACHINE?
As of yet, there are no published scientific articles about the Phillips Respironics problem or the health risks that are outlined in the Philips recall website information.
Philips Respironics recommends: “For patients using BiLevel PAP and CPAP devices, consult with your physician on a suitable treatment plan”
We would like to give our patients some important information for use of your PAP therapy –
According to American Academy of Sleep Medicine and the Medical Team here at Comprehensive Sleep Care Center recommends that patients consider continuing to use their device until it is replaced/repaired by Philips please use the below guidelines in making your decision.
Please note this was a voluntary recall and the discontinuation of treatment may potentially be associated with even greater health risks than the low rate of complaints associated with this recall.
If you have:
- Severe Sleep Apnea
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Neuromuscular Disease Related Respiratory Problems (Parkinson’s, ALS)
- Past or present cardiac arrhythmia
- Heart Failure
If any of these apply:
- DOT license requiring treatment of OSA
- Occupation with operational safety requirements
- Extreme sleepiness or drowsy driving prior to using CPAP or BiPAP
- Recent hospitalization for breathing problems
- Discontinuation of PAP therapy would lead to substantial deterioration of functional status or quality of life
- If you have mild or moderate sleep apnea and you feel significantly symptomatic without using the machine
Please follow these important guidelines
- Immediately discontinue use of any ozone-based cleaning system. Go back to basic cleaning with soap and water.
- Do not use or keep your equipment in a hot, humid environment
If you are still uncomfortable using your PAP machine here are some Alternative Treatment Options to consider:
- Alternative Treatment Option: If you have mild to moderate sleep apnea you may be a candidate for the oral appliance. Visit our OA webpage at https://comprehensivesleepcare.com/our-services/cpap-alternative-oral-appliance-therapy-for-sleep-apnea/ for more information, email us at [email protected] or call the OA Department at 703-729-3420 extension 509. If we do not answer, please leave your full name and date of birth. We are experiencing a high call volume but will get back to you as soon as we can.
- If there is a strong positional component to your apnea, specifically the majority occurring while you sleep on your back, then use of a body positioning device to maintain a side sleep position may be an alternative.
- If you own a travel device, other than the Philips Respironics Dream Station Go that is included in this recall, then you may try switching to your travel device for nightly usage until you receive your replacement.
If you have additional questions, please recheck our website for the most current information that we have. We will be updating it frequently as we learn more. You may also email us at [email protected] with specific questions. Please be understanding as there are thousands of patients in our practice on PAP devices and similarly affected. We can manage your questions best by email.
Comprehensive Sleep Care Center Medical